Friday, February 8, 2008

Carnaval!!

Yes, the infamous Carnaval. Has come and gone. I did survive. Just lost my voice. And my dignity. Just kidding, I still have my dignity. That's how good I am. :) It. Was. Awesome. Seriously. I got to Penonome, my regional capital, on Saturday and met up with some other volunteers. We went straight to the culecos, which is the afternoon fun. I will try to explain a culeco but I really don't think it sounds as cool as it is. I mean really, so much fun. Love them! Basically, there are about 6 tanker trucks lined up on the street. Filled with water. With hoses attached to them. And stands selling beer lined up on the other side of the street. And a stage playing loud, kick ass music at the end. And you walk into the street (with is fenced off with police and you have to be frisked before entering. No glass allowed.) and walk down the street and just start drinking and getting sprayed with water and singing and dancing if you can. And it's a blast. And it's super hot so the water feels great. The rule here during Carnaval is water. All the kids have water guns, adults have water buckets. And everywhere you go, even where you don't think they're celebrating, you will get sprayed. And you CAN'T GET MAD!! That's the rule. Because that's just what they do during these four days. So that's what the culeco is, one big crowd getting drunk in a water fight. I took video the last day but on another girl's camera but when I can I will post it and you will all be jealous of the joy that is a culeco.

When they ended the culecos on Saturday everyone headed down to the river for the aquatic parade. People had been raving about this for weeks because Penonome is the only town anywhere that has an aquatic parade for Carnaval. Turns out, in my opinion, it was highly overrated. There were only three floats! And they were little! But they were indeed being pushed along by kids swimming in the river behind them. But yea, so that was over pretty quick and we went to have dinner and recup. Then we went out to a club that was conveniently located right behind our hotel (convenient for dancing, not convenient for sleeping). It's called P(ub) H(errarano) and it was awesome. You know how clubs go; loud music, dancing, rum, beer. The usual. Lots of fun. That was Saturday.

Sunday we headed out to the beach for a day of relaxation and swimming. It was very chill and calm. The beach. Then we headed to an American sports bar up the road for the Superbowl! Which, as you all should know, was actually a freaking awesome game. I mean, the 4th quarter was just amazing. And intense. And it was great. So that was just a fun day, not really Carnaval-ish. But kick ass none the less. That was Sunday. On Monday I went back to my site for some intense recuperation. I couldn't talk anymore. At all. Completely lost my voice. Which made it that much more interesting when I got back to my site to discover 20 strangers and no host family at the house. Luckily they were only strangers to me, but were all actually family from the city who came out to the campo for Carnaval. I tried to introduce myself but could only squeak out two words then my voice would just fade away to nothing. So I went and hid in my room and slept. Played some Bingo that night. Can't have a holiday in Panama (or a weekend for that matter) without some good ole Bingo. Woke up on Tuesday and could speak a little better, decided that was good enough to head back to Penonome for some more Carnavalando (that's right, it's a verb here).

So Tuesday I met back up with some volunteers and we went straight for the culecos again. Now since this was Fat Tuesday, the last day, there were even more. And they went longer. And more people and more music and more everything. And my friend Lisa and I got the grand idea that we should try to get on top of one of the stands to run the culeco hose because that would just be amazingly freaking wonderful. So we did. And it was. So that video I have that I told you about is actually from the top of the culeco. It was freaking cool. One of the highlights. Then we went down and danced for about an hour or so. Then they turned off the culecos. Later was the big reina parade. Which wasn't as grand or long as some other cities', but it was still impressive for my first real Carnaval parade. The reina floats are pretty damn extravagant. And the somba dancers were beautiful. Lots of bare ass but that's to be expected, right? Dancers, drummers, reinas. Good parade. And then of course it was back to PH. Until 6 in the morning. Ended the night getting a PH staff shirt, 'cause I'm just that cool. Good way to end Carnaval.

All in all, I don't really think trying to write about it does it justice. Just know that I had an amazing experience, very very very fun. And I think you should come down here next year to experience it for yourself. Then you'd really know. :)

No comments: