Friday, May 1, 2009

3 months

Today is May 1st. I have exactly three months left in Panama. My COS date is July 30th because, unfortunately, I did not get the job I applied for that would have kept me here another year. Oh well, there are other things, right? But three months! I'm not sure how I feel about that yet. I feel like there is still so much I wanted to do, and see. And this place has become home for me. And I'm going to have to leave that all behind. But I miss my friends and family back home. It will be good to see them. And instead of going straight home I plan on doing some traveling around South America first, so I'm really excited for that. I think it's just harder because when I left the states to come here, yes I was leaving all my friends and family for two years and I knew I wouldn't see them for awhile and it was hard. But I knew I would be coming back. I knew it was only temporary. But now... I'm leaving a whole new set of friends and family. But I don't know when I'll be coming back. I think that's harder. I wasn't expecting to grow such deep roots here.

In other news. Panama is holding elections on Sunday. For a new president but also for an entirely new government. Every five years Panama holds elections and that is for all positions, from the most local representatives, to their type of senators and congressman, up to the president. So it's pretty intense. But I have to say, I will be so excited when it is all done! Watching the process has been quite an experience. There are three presidential candidates: Martinelli, Balbina and Endara. Though Endara just seems to be kind of there without any real support, it's really between Balbina and Martinelli. To be honest, I don't really know much difference between the political parties and the candidates. But that's ok, because as a PCV I'm supposed to be neutral. I'm just excited for it to be over because the propaganda has been crazy! I don't even know how to describe it. Just overwhelming. And I'm happy it's almost over.

There have been no reported swine flu cases in Panama. That's all I have to say about that.

I was going to write about something else I'm sure, but now I've forgotten. School has begun. We've got a round of Captain Planet next week. A volunteer in Veraguas put together a showing of the Vagina Monologues with actresses from the University of Panama last night and it was AMAZING. Absolutely fantastic showing, with a great turn out. I had the privelege of bringing some women from my community for the day to participate in some charlas about HIV/AIDS and domestic violence before seeing the monolouges and it was just a great day. I think the participants got a lot out of it. :)

The rainy season is starting. That may make it easier to leave in July.

No comments: