Friday, March 27, 2009

COS

Earlier this month two of my best friends from the states came to visit, Tara and Stuart. We had an awesome time! I even got to use it as a chance to do things I had not yet done in Panama. We visited a village of the indigenous group Embera. They live in the middle of the rainforest on the Rio Chagres. It was just gorgeous! To get there you have to take a 30 minutes canoe ride down the river and it was just so peaceful. At the village, the locals wear their native clothing and show off the local culture, artisan work and dances. It was pretty cool. I took a bunch of pictures I'll be posting on Facebook soon, so be sure to check back here for the new album link (or just look on Facebook). We also visited my friend Cassie's site on the beach (with the turtles, though no turtles at this time of year) and took a 4.5 hour horseback ride to a cabin in the middle of the mountains. That is the longest I have been on a horse and while it was gorgeous and super fun, it was also kind of painful. Especially the next day when we had to go back... :-p But it was awesome. It was just so wonderful to see Stuart and Tara and hang out and do adventurous things. It was a really good week. :)

My best PC friend Allie, who is a volunteer in the province of Chiriqui, got hit by a car two weeks ago. She broke her leg which required surgery and now has a rod and 4 screws in her leg and is on crutches. She is healing remarkably well and is doing excellent in physical therapy, but due to stupid, contradicting, expensive, peace corps washington medical rules, they have decided she has to go home to finish healing. So, sadly, she is being sent back to the states. But for what should only be about 6 weeks, and then she can get reinstated as a volunteer here. She is from the same group as me, but she was also planning on extending for a third year. So hopefully she comes back good as new. It just wouldn't be the same without her. :)

Speaking of, I have officially applied for the job I want which would keep me here through August of 2010. I really really really want this job (volunteer regional leader) so send me good luck vibes! I'll let you know when I know. :)

My parents arrive tomorrow! I'm so happy to see my parents! Unfortunetely they will be here over a mandatory conference, but we'll still have a good time. Really I'm just happy I get to see them again. :) We have our Close of Service conference next week for everyone in my group. It'll be the last time all of us are together at one place before July, when most of the group will leave (all those who aren't extending). Crazy. Only 4 months left of my official service.

So anyway, all things are good. The mangos should be ready to eat any day now. :) I love having visitors. Life is excellent. :)

1 comment:

Tara said...

It was great to see you too!